Library and Archives Canada
A favourite of serious researchers, history buffs, and those seeking their family roots, Library and Archives Canada also welcomes visitors to ongoing special exhibitions from its vast collection of Canada's documentary heritage.
- Library and Archives Canada is located just west of Parliament Hill on Wellington Street, next to the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Library and Archives houses over 71,000 short and full-length films and documentaries - the oldest dating back to 1897 - plus over 270,000 hours of video and sound recordings.
- Over 343,000 works of art are in the collection; a selection of these are on display at all times.
- Picture that: the collection includes over 21.3 million photographic images captured since the 1850s, plus over one million portraits of Canadians created since 1689.
- Also part of the collection: the Canadian Postal Archives; millions of books in various languages; the largest collection of Canadian sheet music in the world.
- Admission is free.