The Bytown Museum puts Ottawa into focus. Located on the Rideau Canal, between Parliament Hill and the Fairmont Château Laurier hotel, the museum, which adopted the original name of this city, is housed within the oldest stone building in the capital. The Bytown Museum takes special care to fully understand the building of the Rideau Canal, which is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The museum also examines how Ottawa transformed from a rowdy lumber town, full of pubs and weekly brawls, into the capital of the country.
- The Museum is housed in the oldest stone building in Ottawa, beside a series of 8 dramatic stepped locks that connect the Rideau Canal to the Ottawa River.
- The Museum building served as a treasury and storehouse during the construction of the Rideau Canal, built in 1827.
- Ottawa was originally called Bytown - after Lieutenant-Colonel John By, who supervised construction of the Rideau Canal.
- This three-story museum displays artefacts and items chronicling not only the construction of the Rideau Canal, but also the early days of Bytown as a rough and tumble lumber town and its transformation into the nation's capital.
- Audio tours of the Bytown Museum are available in 6 languages - English, French, Spanish, German, Mandarin and Japanese - included with the price of admission and available to be downloaded from their website prior to visiting.